Friday, July 01, 2005

All sorts of Topics

I've found that I get into an interesting conversation on more then a daily basis - usually with my pianist whose name is Kevin, but who wishes he had a more artistic name, like Andreas. He's an interesting one. Anyway, I've decided that since these topics have become, at times, heated discussions, what better way to expound then address them in a blog. So here is the first, I"m sure, of many.
On a hike to the Maroon Bells, the topic came up of clapping in between movements. My argument was that its annoying and awkward, for the uneducated person who made the mistake, and for those who hear the noise slowly teeter out in a pitiful array of embarrassment. His argument - well stated, I must admit, was that Chopin himself commented in a letter that he was disappointed with the lack of applause he received in between the first and second movement of one of his performances. So obviously there are famous composers out there who, even as far back as Chopin, not only expected applause, but appreciated it. This led us into all sorts of discussions on concert etiquette, which we'll leave for another posting, but the idea still stands that applause, encouraged or not, is an issue.
We finally agreed that the performer can induce part of the audiences response - nobody wants to start hammering away if the artist is still exposed to the moment of the last sounding notes ringing in overtones. Which is true, but I have to insist that classical music has a standard of conformity for a reason. I think its refreshing to be in an environment that encourages etiquette and a simple role of protocol. He says half the reason its a dying art is because the modern teenager regards the concerts as stuffy. But why should we lower the standard of our concerts to the typical rock concert image of today? I guess Kevin can have his raging mosh pits in between movements, but I will stick to the general comment before the program starts to keep it quiet until the piece is finished - when, as far as I'm concerned, all the cheering, clapping, hootin, hollerin, and foot stomping can be had.

No comments: