Monday, September 02, 2013

Learning about Home Schooling

This is a fueled topic for some people. It's an emotional one because it deals with our kids, something most people don't take lightly. One thing I've learned (and mentioned before) from years of helping kids learn the violin, is that although it looks different in every home, most every parent wants what is best for their child. So with respect to those who disagree with me, here is my disclaimer that this post is in no way a judgement on you or what you think may be best for your child. I truly don't know your child like you do. However, for those parents seeking to learn about homeschooling, my thoughts may be helpful in some way.

I have a 4-year old, and I know that in these early years the fundamentals of learning how to learn are being woven. Practicing how to truly focus, how to master hard things, instilling values, and finding the joy in working are not things I take lightly. I've seen these skills give someone confidence that they ride on through the rest of their life. I am not about to hand over the reins to someone else, and just hope they do a good job.

As a parent who has practiced the violin almost every day with my child for over an hour since she was the age of 2, I know very intimately how she learns. I know her strengths, and her weaknesses, very, very well. Because of this, we can move quickly, much more quickly than if she was held at the pace of an entire classroom.

I am just as passionate about her NOT learning some things that are now being integrated into the common curriculum as I am about her learning other things that are omitted. God, for example. I mean, wouldn't it be great if we could study the Gospel as an integral part of our education?

Donna Garner, a Texas educator, has said "National Standards leads to National Assessments, which structures National Curriculum. Teachers salaries become tied to students test scores, which leads to teachers teaching to the test each and every day. Common Core instills a National indoctrination of our public school children, and begins a National database of students and teachers." Have you ever sat in on a class a few months before state tests? I have. For half a year I watched teachers count down for the test, and throw all other learning out the window. Once the test was over, the teacher had half a year to twiddle their thumbs. Your school may be different, but have you sat in to find out? Anything "across the board", "equal opportunity", with more "commonality" and less "competition" is just code (to me) for lowering the standard, loosing touch, and letting others raise our children inside their philosophies. We've lost our public schools to the government. I think they waste time, money, and indoctrinate children on what they value, which is often not in the same line as what I value or want my children to value.

I went to public school and loved it. Years later, after getting my Masters degree, I went back to High School as an aid for my younger brother Matt, who has a physical disability and was enrolled in several honors courses. With new eyes, as an adult, I was left shocked and horrified. I couldn't believe the hours - HOURS - wasted in classrooms. I couldn't believe the lack of respect given to students by faculty in the halls and in the classroom. One day I dressed down (typically I wore professional attire) because I had less time that day and thought I'd hit the gym right after work. I was on an urgent business phone call in the hallway during class when a teacher passing by came at me with vengeance for being on my cell phone on school property. He thought I was a student. I will never forget how belittled I felt being treated that way. I can't imagine adults treating other adults the way he treated me. But this teacher - this person in charge of educated our children - felt it just fine to treat a student this way. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a major incident. In fact, it was so small that it made me realize it was second nature to him. I've thought a lot about that exchange, and come to the conclusion that the only situation that compares, truly, is a prison guard talking to an inmate. Total authority, zero respect. And thats the learning environment we've placed our children in to help them learn, grow, and develop into independent, thinking human beings.

I also got so tired of seeing the exhaustion of honors students trying to practice their instruments before school, participate in sports after school, study for AP tests, and be in the Student Body Presidency, all while attending 8 hours of school, knowing that so MANY of those hours were a complete waste of time.

Think through your child's timeline for a minute. Do you want them to gain a specific skill? Do you want them to attend college? Do you want them to become a contributing member of society? Do you want them to serve a mission? Do you want them to have time for adventure? Do you want them to love learning? Do you want them to get married, and have a family of their own? Do you want them to be able to do this without much debt? Looking at these questions, I see the element of time as a major factor. For most, these options are choices typically to be had, one pitted against the other. It's like we say "well, pick three", because that's realistic. It is realistic, if you've put your child on that timeline. But what if they were all available, and those choices were open doors when your child arrived at them, with nothing but time on their side?

I am not saying that our schools don't give children opportunity. I am saying that in general they limit the opportunity.

Would it close a door or open a door if we allowed our children to learn at their own pace? Would it help or hurt them if we found mentors that were passionate about their subjects of learning? Would it be a benefit to them if they entered college at a younger age, so that by the time the years of specializing started, they had no sense of a ticking clock? The world seems to teach that as a woman, you can be a stay at home mom, OR you can be successful in your career. Would it eliminate or add stress to have the option of continuing school to the highest level, while also having plenty of time to start a family, without having to choose? Would it help them or hurt them if they were able to spend the adequate hours studying in something that provided a scholarship to the schools of their choice while easily balancing the other demands in their young life instead of joining the red-eyed zombie frenzy of students trying to get up at 4:00 in the morning to fit it all in? Throw in there a thinking person who has to justify to the world, in an articulate manner, why home schooling didn't ruin them, but instead, gave them these opportunities.

I really think that if you don't waste all those hours in a school day, they can add up to years on the other side.

There are programs out there that try to solve the problem of teaching to the masses and learning in the herds, such as the Montessori method. I think this is a great step in the right direction. Ultimately though, hundreds of studies, and common sense, show that the best situation is one on one learning. What could be better than one on one learning in the home, with the people who know you best and will continue to know you best?

Now. There is a HUGE spectrum of home school learning. There's just about as many methods and philosophies as there are families doing it. Because of this, like anything, it has a reputation from the extremes. In my experience, Homeschool is associated with lazy parents who want nothing to do with structure and have found a good excuse to let their kids run wild in the woods while they watch daytime television. But then I ran across this article, and I started to identify with a movement of parents looking for a better option.

I read this article and was completely inspired. Then I bought her book, (now not available until fall) which I'm in the middle of right now, and have continued to feel motivated to travel this homeschool journey.

There are so many programs out there, all with their own strengths. Many people go with a single program. The benefit to this is that everything is somewhat streamlined. We've chosen to highlight a few different programs that seem to have subjects they excel in, for example Saxon Math. I have heard great things about Aleks online Math, and Math-U-See depending on your child's learning strengths. Brooklynn has been doing Saxon at home for a year now, and she's confidently working at a 2nd grade level. I wouldn't be honest if I tried to hide my pride in the fact that my 4-year old is easily thinking through problems that a public school setting reserves for those twice her age. For our general studies, we just found and started the Life School, an LDS based curriculum. We're very new to this material, so I can't comment on the results, but I can say that the idea of starting our History lessons in the Pre-Existance and working through Gospel doctrine as an integral thread in every subject is very inviting, and seems to enrich the reasons I already had for home schooling.

So there are some thoughts. I challenge you to become educated about what and how your child is learning. Develop opinions about different methods, and then challenge those opinions until you're sure you've found what is best. What is best for your child, that is.

5 comments:

Nonie said...

Thank you, Melissa! Your thoughts really resonate with me. I'll look forward to reading those links and hopefully chatting more about this in the future.

As I've read through the classical approach outlined in The Well-Trained Mind, I've been wondering how to incorporate a more serious study of the scriptures, including the Book of Mormon and Church History. Maybe I should look into that LIFE curriculum. Interesting!

Lindsey Smith said...

I think parents who home school their children are amazing! I know that just doing homework with Jack is hard enough for us, I couldn't teach him all day! Here is my only worry with home schooling. I know about 8 people who were home schooled and out of the 8 only 1 is normal.

Kids who don't socialize with lots of other children are socially awkward. Yes it's important for my kids to be smart but it's just as important if not more important for them to be able to interact with people. Day to day interactions are what will get them that amazing job, being able to read people and their emotions will be what helps them keep the job and become successful. I'm not saying that this isn't possible if you home school your children I'm just saying that finding social interactions for your children is just that much more important. Every possible chance you can get to send them away without you by their side is really important for their social education. Social skills are HUGE in life if you want them to be successful!!!!!!

I actually think that eventually none of us will send our kids to public schools because they will be so bad. I hope your around at that time so you can teach me what to do:)

For now I love that Jack is going to school, getting those life experiences that I cherish, and coming home with stories. His teachers are in my ward and I love that they know him and watch out for him every day. School is so stinkin fun, I would hate to take that away from him before I have to. I watch him becoming even more independent and confident and I love it:)

Randy said...

Megan and I really enjoyed this. We started homeschooling this year (shocker if you knew me several years ago) and are still feeling our way to find what will be best for our family. I suspect as our kids grow and develop their characters we will always be adapting the way we approach education.

Please share the books you liked. One that we have just started is 'Free to Learn' by Peter Gray. Very interesting ideas.

As I considered homeschooling more seriously I was amazed at how many "normal" people I discovered that were homeschooled. I think the reason we carry the stigma of "weird homeschool kids" is because their strange personalities are memorable (being different from ourselves) and fits a stereo type. As I look back on the different people I have known, I think I can come up with as many "weird" people that were not homeschooled as were homeschooled. I don't believe homeschooling is generally a driving factor.

Nonie said...

I wanted to respond to the socialization concern as well. I used to wonder about this too until I read "The Well-Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling" a few years ago (by Rachel Gathercole). It easily assuaged any fears I harbored about homeschoolers being socially awkward. In fact, she makes a very strong argument that homeschoolers are socialized in a more realistic, even a more healthy way than public school kids.

My experience corroborates this. As a violin teacher, I have taught many children, both homeschooled and public schooled (one-on-one on a weekly basis). Almost across the board, the homeschoolers have been a little more thoughtful, respectful, confident, and interacted with people of all ages in an easy way. Additionally, two of my best friends in college were homeschooled all the way through high school, and they were two of my favorite people to be around.

Brit said...

I applaud your courage and tenacity at such an undertaking. Heaven knows this question has swirled around my mind for many reasons; not the least of which was the bully situation at D's school last year. I think that no child can suffer who has a parent intimately involved in their education, whether the family chooses home school, attending school, or a combination of the two. Some of my most valuable life lessons were learned from school teachers (particularly in 3rd and 5th grade, as well as with some amazing high school teachers) and I want to give my children the chance at developing those relationships. I still exchanged Christmas cards with my 5th grade teacher, for example, who lives in Arizona. (She called me on my wedding day, wanting to be the first person to call and ask for Mrs. Brittany Gardner) I treasure her friendship and influence in my life.

It's true though that I had some less than ideal experiences in school. But my mom was always there, involved, and creating a relationship with the teachers and the school so that my family and I were known as contributors. Looking back I realize just what an advantage it was to have a super-involved mom who was in my class at least once a week. She looked out for me, and I believe that because of this the teachers treated me with a softness and respect that came from their gratitude for the contributions my mother made to my classrooms. This, too, will be my course of action: to contribute to the classroom of my children.

I also know what my limits as a parent are. I practice hard and diligently with my kids every day and that takes about every ounce of patience I have. So for our relationships' sake, I have chosen to let them go to school for the time being, knowing that we can always change and reevaluate as circumstances change.

Your kids are lucky and blessed to have a mom who cares so much and is so dedicated to their well-being.

Good luck as you continue on this journey. I am looking forward to hearing updates.

You are wonderful