Tuesday, November 01, 2005

renewed appreciation

I had an experience today that really opened my heart and made me determine to do better. There I was, cell phone connected to the ear as I walked through crowds eating Chinese food in Flushing – calling an old friend and professional violinist in salt lake for some much needed advice. I guess you just have to be in that situation – vulnerable and feeling very much like a novice to appreciate how much her sweet and helpful nature were appreciated. It was like sunshine coming through that phone - the way she made me feel welcome and loved, the sound of a mothers voice who bakes cookies and walks with her grand kids to the park. I realized somewhere in between then and now that I need to redouble my efforts in having a good attitude when I serve people. Lately I have faltered in this area - going through the motions, even putting in the hours - but when it comes down to it feeling rather frustrated and like it truly wasn't worth the effort I was putting into it. Whatever happened to selfless service done with a light heart in my life? I have lost it somewhere on the path in gaining routine in a city full of people who don't know my name, protecting time in an overexaggerated battle with prioritizing, and loosing thoughts in the business of day.
I have been reminded.
New York you will not get me glorifying in proud isolation - I will do better at reaching out to the "other", as so beautifully put by Rebecca Mckonkie and her talk yesterday about the phrase "Love One An Other". And so it is. A renewed conviction to be more then I am, and a prayer to God to help get me there.