One moment captured by words:
I often get accused of "making up" words. I think, "lots of people make up words. Most of them are geniuses." For example - Shakespeare made up over 2,000 words - most of which are used commonly today. J.R.R. Tolkien created a whole language that some people, even the likes of Barrett Morgan, are obsessed with. So what's wrong with a little creative genius, anyway?
This morning the heated debate was about the word "scrowl". It's obvious that this is a word - Brent scrowls at me all the time. So we made a bet over $1 (I wanted to bet an hour of free time to do whatever you wanted uninterrupted and without guilt attached, but he wasn't so confident in his position, obviously, so we resorted to $1.). The result? I, of coarse, found it in a dictionary. Brent says it doesn't count because the dictionary happens to be called the "urban dictionary". However, who cares where it's documented - the definition is this: To express displeasure by simultaneously scowling and growling.", which is exactly what Brent was doing this morning when I woke him up from his peaceful sleep by placing Brooklynn, with her bed head and dirty diaper, on his chest. So. Which way would ye rule? Creative, albeit off the streets of Harlem -- or the boring, starchy rules of one only Webster?
Cast your votes now.
15 comments:
Love that word! I know just what a "scrowl" is! I get them a lot, but mostly from my kids. (How come spell check says it isn't a word... I think spell check is WRONG!
CUTE pictures!!! Emma says "I miss that baby!" She is SO SO cute Melissa! I guess we'll see you in MAY for the wedding eh?:) Maybe this time I can come and see your beautiful house and not just drool over the pictures! Love you! Andrea
i make up words too! it's a great talent. i can't say mine are in any dictionary though. love brooklynn's face in pic #3...priceless.
The Piggies on Brooklynn are to die for, so cute!!! We missed you guys this weekend for the Super Bowel. I heard you got some good info, on some boy that lives around the Salt Lake area, who might like a gal who lives around the northern parts of Utah!!
Love the piggies and no scrowl is not a word.
Love the piggies, love that girl. Also you should know that we love your dog. I'm still not realy to have my own but we fell in love with her. Jack talked about Mesa for at leat a week, he thought she would always be there to get him out of bed in the morning.
Could you have a more beautiful little baby she is absolutely beautiful! As for your husband...I am sorry good luck with him!
she is such a doll. love it melissa. I can't believe we are "mothers"
xoxo
s
I love the little piggy tails on Brooklynn. Brent should be the promotor of creative words as his father is the master.
Hahaha - that made me laugh! I am always making up words too and getting slack for it. But the ones I use work better than any real word could anyway. And I've used the urban dictionary to count words while playing scrabble, like "trife," which means "livin at the rock bottom of life" or "just gettin by." Thanks for being my partner in nonsense!
Brooklynn is so cute.
I think any word that can produce a concept as well as "scrowl" clearly does, should be heralded as a step forward for all mankind. Finding that perfect word is a gift not to be shnibbed! Who cares if spell-check has no idea what to do with it, the rest of us do.
It's me again, I just wanted to say that Stew and Mesa look positivly plutonic, and that if I thought i could pull off those pig tails I'd wear them to the gym!I may just try it anyway.
Hi. I skipped over here through a friend of a friend, etc. I just wanted to say I love your blog and how real you are! I read back a ways and just love your style. Hope that's not weird of me.
You win, sorry Brent!
Post a Comment