
I admit. Every year I underestimate my dear husband.
But nothing has ever come close to how it played out this year.
I've been admiring kitchenaid mixer's from a distance for some time: There have been general consensus caucuses held with the mother's of my students . . . . several trips to kitchens to look and admire . . . . visits to the website to read reviews and research the best versions made.
Then I came upon a halting disappointment: Kitchenaid had succumb to the great American capitalistic disappointment. The homegrown American brand was now producing products made in china. . . . WITH PLASTIC GEARS. The more we researched, the more complaints we found. It was heart wrenching. The only line that still comes with the hearty mechanics that you know from your mother's kitchen is. . . brace yourself . . . $500.00.
Brent and I held many a discussion about what to do, and Christmas day crept nearer and nearer.
On Christmas Eve I finally broke down. I cornered Brent and told him that since I hadn't made a decision (who can bring themselves to splurge on a $500.00 mixer?!) that he needed to at least get me something. "Just don't make me go through Christmas without getting anything." I insisted. Even if it was just a simple love letter, getting something with a bow on it would help me feel better.
Brent launched into all the reasons we had decided not to get the mixer - honorably defending his position and exclaiming why he had no gift in the first place: It's too expensive. He insisted a $20 hand mixer would be sufficient. Would I really use it? Would it even last past it's warranty, or worse - break right after the warranty expired?
The depths of sadness enveloped me as I realized that truly, there would be no gift from Santa. There wasn't a logical bone in my body that would justify getting it, and I simply hadn't helped him with any other ideas.
The day continued on . . . we gathered with family and began the traditions and somehow in another Kitchenaid conversation I discovered that my sister-in-law Angie also wanted a mixer for Christmas.
The evening came and presents began to be exchanged. Brent loves doing things publicly. I'm sure it's a direct result of his love for affirmation. He came waltzing in with a small wrapped package and insisted that I open it in front of everyone. I cringed as all eyes turned to me.
"Can't we do this alone?" I hissed.
"No! I want everyone to see what I got you!" he beamed with pride.
With slow hands I unwrapped the gift.
A cook book.
With a letter inside:
"To my sweetheart,
This entitles you to a purchase of one mixer at some point in the future, when we can afford it.
Love, Brent."
At this point in the story, I must give myself credit. I had accepted my lot. I had realized our position. I looked at Brent and with genuine gratitude smiled and thanked him.
Ask anyone there. I was just fine.
Until. Angie's boyfriend brings in a huge giant wrapped package. A heavy box. Puts it in front of her. She opens it. You guessed it. A kitchenaid mixer. Black. Just like I wanted. Everyone is looking at me. And another credit to myself. I looked at her and truly did mean it when I said "I'm happy for you, Angie". And I was. Even though everyone afterwards said my face was a mix of fury and jealousy. But I did mean it. And then Brent started pushing me towards the box, insisting I go look at it closer. I refused and told him I could see it fine from where I was sitting, too frustrated to hear the humor in his voice, or see how his shoulders had started to tremble with laughter.
It was like coming out of a dream. Glancing around, I noticed everyone was still looking at me . . . one smiling face after the other. . . . and then Brent stood up and grabbed the mixer from Angie and handed it to me, as she burst out laughing. "It's yours" he said, "I got you the mixer".
He got me the mixer!!!! The one with METAL GEARS. The $500.00 Professional 600 mixer with 575 watts, a 6 quart bowl, and 10 speeds!!!! But the best part is yet to come: working the magic of MaRea (click here) who is the savviest shopper on planet earth - he got the mixer for LESS THAN THE CHEAPEST MIXER THEY MAKE. Stop it. I'm not kidding you. He got the best mixer, and got it without spending the $500!!
I was beat red and totally in shock. The mixer. Sleek, beautiful black licorice, brand new, with all kinds of attachment options, metal gears, amazing KITCHEN.AID.MIXER!!! And everyone was in on the joke as he handed me the book and card. Afterwards, Angie was truly defiant as she tried to understand why I would believe that she - unmarried and free - would want a mixer for Christmas.
And that, my friends, is the story of how Brent is the best husband ever. Each year I'm sure he'll never pull it off. And each year he surprises me.
8 comments:
Oh...my...Heck...I can't believe it either! That is so good!!! I am soooo Excited for you oh how I would love that baby, I just can't believe you have held out this long.
Miss you and I see you have had a very Merry Christmas!
lOVE YOU
lAURA
First....your sepia picture with the 3 of you, is the most darling in the world!!! We are all admiring it!
Second....I wasn't in on anything, but I still KNEW he was coming through! Felt it in my bones and knew what the end result would be! So great Brent! Love to you all!
Robynne
I'm giving a high five to Brent right this moment! I love Christmas surprises!
It's a Christmas Miracle!
I hope that that mixer works out, maybe that's why everyone I know with a kitchen aid hasn't been impressed, they probably have plastic gears! I've got one, i'm sure it has plastic gears, you'll have to let me know how yours does, with mine, as long as i do 1/2 a bread recipe it works fine, but if i attempt to put more flour than that, it will start to smoke. so let us know, i was disappointed with kitchen aid and thought i'd try a bosch mixer next time my sister-in-laws love them!
You two are so great! When I read the story I was ready to cry, laugh, then cry. You guys are crazy. So happy for you Melissa! You deserve it! Way to go Brent!!! Love ya!
That is hilarious. As I was reading the suspense was killing me. Way to go Brent.
I love this story. And you will looooove that Kitchen Aid! When you get the pasta attachment and you're ready to make home-made noodles and ravioli, call me up - I've got a great recipe.
Post a Comment