Tuesday, March 22, 2011
Food Storage
I have to admit, this is not a post I ever thought I'd write. Not because I don't believe in it, but because I really never thought I'd actually get around to it. However, last December Brent kept telling me how important it was to diversify our savings, and for us to get our food storage in line. I sat down and looked at my calendar and set a date - - - albeit, three months later - -- that I knew we'd be able to put aside some time to go down to welfare square and start the dry packing journey.
Last week there was a major discussion on whether or not we really were going to go . . . I think between the two of us there were a lot of questions: where is it? What is it going to be like? Will it cost a lot? Will they let us in with Brooklynn? How long will it take? . . . and other stupid questions of the sort. But we prevailed! We drove our little car over there, went into the building, and started the process that I must admit completely enhanced my testimony. You wouldn't believe how helpful everyone there was. They gave Brooklynn crayons, gave her a chair and a table to color on while Brent and I worked . . . the lady at the desk handed me a kleenex for Brooklynn's nose without looking up and without missing a beat while ringing us up. The whole building is full of these wonderful cherry grandmothers who are so happy you're there and are willing to do anything to help you. It took us about 30 minutes and we walked out with cases of dried black beans, apple slices, carrots, onions, oats, spaghetti, and macaroni, all sealed in number 10 tin cans - guaranteed to last 30 years on the shelf. Total cost? $130.00 - to put this in perspective, we'd looked at just buying the same products, in the same #10 tin cans, from a company out of Brigham City. We paid about $3.95 per can, the company we looked at was asking $14.00. What an awesome deal! And how amazing to see the Church's system for preparedness that I'd heard my entire life about. It was an amazing feeling to finally get my toes wet in this water. It was like hiking a trail that you'd heard your whole life you should hike - and finally getting out of bed and doing it, only to discover that the hike really is that worth doing.
Obviously I'm no expert at this yet, but my passion has been ignited. I'm in! Anyone else want to go - for the first time or for the millionth, I'm game. Give me a call. We can always use more flour, and I'm hoping to try doing some honey or jam next time I go down.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
nice work...I need to just set a date. I had no idea you could do honey!
Turns out you can't do honey. Dang it! I called yesterday and the dry pack is the only one that people can just do without an assignment as a ward. Anyway, still worth it. Guess I should change the photo now for the post ;)
I'm in! I'll call you....this sounds amazing!
We just made our appointment. I am excited to check it out.
We have been on fire about emergency prep for the last year or so, and we basically have our year's supply now. Still need a good little stove and an all-season tent and a few other essentials.
If you're talking about Honeyville in Brigham City, it's a great store to diversify your storage. They also have great water containers. You can save money by canning your stuff yourself (we've done that with cans from the cannery). Your stake might have a home canner you can use. If not, take a note from your bishop to the cannery and they'll let you check out their hand canner... slower, but cheaper!
Next time you're in Logan, stop by Cox Honeyland (right on the highway just out of Logan), bring your own food grade containers and have them fill you up. Cache Vally honey's my favorite. Raw and reliably 100% pure. Very fair price.
Calling you back soon. Can't wait to talk.
Post a Comment