Friday, March 11, 2011

Size 1/32

Today we picked up the first violin for B, age 2 1/2.
She and I walked out with matching black cases . . . I'm sorry but I was dying. It was adorable how she had to carry it herself. Then when we got home she put her case right next to mine and said "look mommy: mommy violin, baby violin!"

I could see that this is a loaded situation in the perspective of some. Maybe I'll be seen as trying to push something on Brooklynn that she doesn't want. My answer to that is, probably, that will be the situation for at least 15 years. And then, at that point if she wants to choose something else, I'll be all for it.

I also see it as a gift I can give her that entails joy, discipline, focus, an appetite for excellence, dedication, one on one time with her mom everyday, a back up plan, culture, the understanding that she can do hard things well, patience, opportunity, brain development, beautiful catharsis, spiritual depth experienced in a unique way, among a myriad of other gifts, talents, and hard earned character.

Sigh. Here we go!

6 comments:

MaRea Hess said...

Very cute, the smile on her face tells it all!

Hillary said...

Oh my gosh, so cute! What an adorable little Twinkler she'll be.

Brit said...

here we go indeed! And you can add one more thing to the list of things you'll be giving her: amazing, deep friendships with fellow musicians, because maybe you feel like I do that some of your closest and most meaningful friendships are with people who have worked hard at something beautiful like you have. So glad we'll be doing this together. Guess I should get Aliya a cello :)

Jane Durham said...

all I'm thinking is she is the luckiest little girl in the world!

Violadiva said...

Before I got pregnant, all I could think about is wishing the baby would be born 2 years old so that we could start violin together :o) I'm enjoying baby phase more than anything, but I can't wait to be a Twinkle Mom! Please post about your adventures.

theadventursofsidandlinda said...

What an opportunity to teach her all the things you learned and do it with joy and enthusiasm. I am anxious to observe as the adventure unfolds