Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Celebrating


April has been unusually crazy for me this year. Typically I get a good solid post in about each of the celebrated events of the month: anniversary, birthday, Easter, spring. But this year I'll be doing it all in one fell swoop.

My favorite moment of last week came during a trip to California. Brooklynn and I made the trek together to Las Vegas where we met Brent and spent the weekend in Tara's dad's pent house. For free. Have you ever seen the movie Twenty One? You know that scene where Ben and Jill are looking out over the city from the top floor of a building - the dark sky . . . the glittering lights below . . . the subdued honking of horns and city craziness muffled behind glass? That was us. Seriously. Picture a parking garage with Lamborghini's, Porsche's, and Ferrari's . . . and of coarse our cute little VW wagon. Picture doormen waiting to come running, elevators that you have to swipe a key to have open, and again to take you to your floor. Picture video cameras at every corner and security men watching them 24 hours a day. Picture a pool area that has waterfalls and white umbrellas. Picture front row tickets to any show in Vegas. That was our weekend.
I know, right?
But that wasn't my favorite moment.
Monday we continued our drive to Bermuda Dunes, Palm Desert, where we spent the week laughing with family, celebrating Easter and the arrival of the newest Thatcher cousin, and fully relaxing in the perfect sunshine.
It was full of awesome runs outside with just the right amount of breeze, spinning and kick boxing classes that got me all pumped up and ready to take on anything, and a perfect night out where Brent and I celebrated our 5 year anniversary, and my birthday, respectively, together.
But even these moments don't top the list as my favorite.

My favorite moment came during an evening out to dinner where all 5 Thatcher boys sat at a white table cloth with their wives beside them. It was a chic restaurant where women sipped glasses with fingers sparkling with diamonds and people like William Gates dine. We were eating fresh berries with real whip cream for desert, complete with a candle for me, and I glanced at Brent and leaned in to whisper something in his ear. He looked at me with such sweetness in his eyes, and without any warning gave me a quick kiss.
That was my favorite moment, hands down, without question. Instantly the world went quiet and fireworks exploded in my head. It happens every time, without fail. He holds my world in his hands, this gentlemen of mine. He gives me a smile and I'll be thinking about it for days. He just . . . he just gets me. He gets all of me, and without any reservation I give it to him. I'm the luckiest girl in the world to have Brent as my person.

And my birthday. I'm now officially 29. To be honest, I'm not a fan of this number at all. It seems to be leaning . . . not really in the twenties anymore, but not quite 30 either. I'm excited for 30. It seems to hold with it the respected weight that you should feel, having lived three decades. You must be somewhat wise, by the age of 30. But instead, here I sit, still dabbling in the 20's. But don't worry. I'm not one to go out without a bang. We'll make this year count :)

And Spring. Well, it hasn't come yet. Brooklynn and I went to Smith's this morning both wearing full blown winter coats. The heater is still on at our house. And yes, it snowed all day today. So spring, fight through. I'm waiting. If you come soon, I'll even honor you with something crazy, like writing a blog post about you.

Here's to crazy fun weekends in Vegas, relishing the last of a decade, long drives with great CD's, sunshine even if you have to chase it to find it, and 5 years with the man of my dreams.
Cheers.

6 comments:

Missy W. said...

the penthouse sounds amazing. Did you go see a show?

What a great way to spend your birthday/anniversary! Happy Both!

TnD said...

29 is a great year. At 29 I got engaged and married and got my first real promotion. Best to you this year and I can't wait to see what adventures await you.

Lindsey Smith said...

What a sweet post:) Loved your favorite moment, cute:)

Tibbitts Paperbag said...

Paragraph # 5 maybe my all time favorite in the world of blogging. if every girl could feel like that, the world may just change overnight, But i think the magic in the moment comes long before, as the the girl unveils, the boy to himself. Then he is forever hers.

Nonie said...

A month late to tell you, but I loved this post. Is that post on Spring ready to show it's head yet? Happy Anniversary and Birthday last month! :)

hapi said...

Hi Melissa Thatcher, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog