Sunday, June 05, 2011

Finally.

I promised a post when spring finally decided to come to stay here in Utah. Today she finally came. Note, June 5th is a bit late. Hence the post dedicated to the subject.

Yes, we've seen sunshine for a few hours here and there, but often it's shortly followed by rain . . . cold wind . . . and even snow. The last time it snowed was just last week, actually.
But today I woke up to the bluest sky possible, the greenest grass possible, and the warmest breeze possible, long overdue here in Utah. It was brilliant. The forecast says it's supposed to rain on Thursday, but to have 6 days of sun and one day of rain is a much needed change for those of us who have experienced non-stop rain and snow for the last 10 months, the past 6 weeks consecutively.

This spring finds me in an interesting place. I've become an expert at understanding patterns. I'm well aware that when there is a stretch, such as this one we're in, where Brent won't be coming to Utah for well over a month, that all the forces of nature seem to collaborate and arrange that everything breaks and undoes itself. I'm no longer surprised by such happenings, in fact, I wait for it and patiently plan around it. I no longer think that I have to somehow conquer complete self reliance. No, that attitude is for the rookies. My attitude is one of a veteran: I immediately give in and call for help. I call my new found friend, Romano, a 100% Italian sweet old gentlemen that knows how to do EVERYTHING, including cook darn good tortellini. Words come rolling out of his mouth in the most delicious accent you've ever heard. Romano comes and fixes my water heater when it breaks, twice in one week. He also fixes my leaking pipes, lifts heavy things I can't lift, improves the plumbing . .. you know, minor details I have no idea how to do.

When I'm in town I just keep things running. When the dog ran away, the TV stopped working, my computer stopped receiving emails, the yard needed edging and mowing and gardening, the washing machine began flashing a mysterious blinking signal each time I tried to use it, and the horses needed hauling, I must give myself credit for taking care of the problem all on my own.
When Brent's in town, he demolishes and remodels the bathroom in 3 days - travertine on all the walls, floor, shower . . . new shower where there wasn't one . . . new paint, you name it.

Self Reliant, yes. Ignorant of my own limits, no.

Spring is a time of new beginnings. I wouldn't say this is so much a beginning, as much as it is a continuation of endurance. Gritting my teeth and smiling at the same time.
Welcome, Spring.

1 comment:

Missy W. said...

The horse chestnut tree outside my window is finally blooming. it's been a long long winter. My only fear now is that summer has come, and that spring has been skipped!