Today I'm so sad. The kind of sad that saturates you down to the bone like wet. It leaves you feeling heavy . . . like there's nothing you can really do to get rid of it except dry out.
And that takes time.
Someone close to me left me holding the phone this morning with a deep sense of confusion, betrayal, and exhaustion. I tried so hard, and in the end, sometimes that's just not enough. Sometimes what you have is not what people want. And sometimes, it hurts when you find that out.
I wish I was always wise. When things catch me off guard, shining a spotlight on my vulnerability in that unexpected moment, that's the first thing I feel: I wish I was wise. Because wise means you have foresight and insight and always proceed with caution. Wise people don't go too fast, or too much, or too often. They are respected, so when craziness hits them people give them the benefit of the doubt, instead of turn on them with bitterness.
I've thought through and rethought through the situation to see how I could have prevented it. But that's the most maddening part: how can you change something if you didn't know there was a problem?! She was wrong for not trusting me enough to say something sooner, because I can honestly say I would have done my best to listen. It's painful to think she didn't think I would. Or maybe it was just easier to wait until it was too late, and then try and pass the blame to someone other than herself. For her to let it unfold in such a hurtful way . . . It will take time to let this dry out.
3 comments:
whatever happened, I know you, Melissa, and I know that you have a good heart and would never intentionally hurt anyone. I hope that things shake out, and that time will bring healing and understanding. <3
I'm so sorry. I've been going through something with a close friend of mine. I keep coming to the point where I wonder if it is too hard for me to be her friend anymore. I was venting to my husband and asking why, at 27 years old, do I have to deal with ridiculous drama like this. I think the reason is, when we were teenagers and people hurt us, it was a lot easier to just hate them and be done with it. Now I'm a grown up, and I have empathy and my heart aches for my friend, and that's why I will always keep trying. Even if it's rotten. Because I see her potential and the great person she is.
I'm sorry you're feeling hurt, and I hope that you'll be at peace with this person and situation soon.
So sorry Melissa. I've always thought it is moments like this that make us wise. Wish it wasn't so painful. Thinking of you.
Post a Comment