Monday, March 05, 2012

Butterflies


Week 1 & 2: Ten very tiny caterpillars arrived in two jars, complete with self contained food and no outside effort required at all. They promoted two weeks of inquisitive eyes watching them grow and grow and grow.

Week 3 & 4: The caterpillars, now big, formed their cocoons. Once all wrapped up, we transferred the cocoons to the big butterfly pavilion. Two caterpillars were sacrificed to a passionate twirl that ended up off balance and in a heap on top of the butterfly pavilion. Another butterfly cocoon turned black and died, natural causes were sited.

Week 4: Seven butterflies hatch and slowly pump their wings - gaining strength and drinking from our fresh slices of oranges.We discover how friendly and tame these butterflies are ~ so willing to softly be held on a finger. Giggles and shrieks of joy fill our home for days.

Two butterflies end up with very squashed wings, due to Brooklynn's learning curve on how to catch them when she lets them out to "play". In the next three days four butterflies are released into the outdoor sunshine without mom's approval. Brooklynn just can't wait, the excitement of their freedom is so enticing.

Finally, we made it to Friday with three butterflies left. We drove to Palm Desert to let the cousins join in our "letting go" party. The remaining butterflies seem on the verge of death and we decide it best not to wait the night out. Even though it's dark, each little girl gets to let one butterfly go . . . none of them really fly away, except one who heads right into the ceiling fan and successfully maims it's wings. We pretend they're healthy and just drinking flower juice as we place them in the bushes.

Overall, a wonderful adventure. Brooklynn is now OBSESSED with being a "baby butterfly", and of coarse, Brent and I have to constantly call her that, not by her name. We've been deemed "mama butterfly, and daddy butterfly" ALWAYS. Most days I wonder how much longer this can go on . . . but I know one day I'll look back and read this post and smile, thinking about the butterfly days that were for us the Spring of 2012.

2 comments:

TnD said...

Loved those butterflies. Did you get a new phone?

Randy said...

Delightful post. I laughed out loud several times. I thought about doing that several times for my girls; I just might do it soon now I see how successful this was for you.
-Randy