Last week we went to Utah for a quick three day trip. I was shocked at how much Utah surprised me, having only been away 7 months.
After some deliberation at a Starbucks in Cedar City we decided to in fact not eat there after all. I explained my decision to the girl working there and laughed out loud when she responded with a cherry "sounds like a plan!"
I was surprised at the snow still in the mountains, and that it smelled SO GREEN and . . . well, like spring . . . months after we'd reached lower 90's in temperature in California.
I was surprised at how much older and taller all my students were.
I was stunned at how busy I was trying to fit in seeing everyone and doing everything.
But the biggest surprise was Brooklynn's attachment to me. This is the girl that was raised by a community as I heroically tried to survive with Brent away so much. Seven months ago she was comfortable with most anyone, and typically expected to give me a kiss and a hug goodbye before frolicking away. But we've spent the last half a year literally never leaving each others side. We do everything together, all day long, every day. In fact, the other day I was worn out and just needed a break from my little other half, who, has been teetering on the edge of giving up her nap (exhausting). I gently said to her "Brooklynn, mommy needs a break. You're going to have a quiet time in that room, and I'm going to have a quiet time in this room. Go shut the door please". Of coarse, it wasn't a week later that she came up to me in the early afternoon, eyes wide and innocent, and said in a sweet voice "mom, can I please have a break from you? I need a break". It was just adorable and funny at the same time. And THAT'S about as close as we ever come to separation these days, which I love.
So Utah brought with it my old hectic schedule of teaching long hours and racing from one place to the next. And I couldn't believe how much it affected my dear little one. After picking her up from a friends house where she'd spent the afternoon playing while I was teaching, I explained to her on the drive home that she was going to spend the evening with Grandma and Grandpa who would feed her dinner and put her in her PJ's and help her to bed. She responded "but mommmm! What about you?"
"I'm going to dinner with a friend, it's a place only for mommy's, not little girls. But you get to be with Aunt Sarah and Uncle Matt, and the BUNNIES!" I said, trying to make it sound enthusiastic.
"But mom." she said in a bitterly sad voice, followed by a huge sigh. "But mom, I love you THE MOST!!"
Broke my heart. It was a great weekend, but I was so happy to return to California where we get to hold hands all day and enjoy the adventures together.

No comments:
Post a Comment