Friday, May 25, 2012

Hydration

I've woken up this week feeling really dizzy every morning. Sometimes this lasts for hours, which is pretty common for pregnant women, but annoying non-the-less. After talking to my doctor, we've scheduled a blood test to test for anemia, but she also stressed the importance of drinking a minimum of 8 glasses a day.
Of coarse we've all heard the eight glasses a day thing. But I decided to start keeping track of exactly how much water I was drinking because a guess simply doesn't cut it when you're dizzy.
Turns out, it takes quite a bit of conscious effort for me to hit 6 glasses a day. I'm on a new quest to fit in those extra two.
Part of my quest has had to involve some creative thinking, because I can't stand the taste of the water out of our tap. I bought bottled water at Costco, but then felt pretty guilty at the amount of plastic I was chucking every day. Enter Crystal Light's new powder drink line:
I carefully weighed the decision here. I know this means all kinds of supplemental sugar not good for me. But I figured NOT drinking water was worse, and when I can I cut up fresh fruit and add it to plain water in an effort to do the most healthy thing, I do.
But when I'm on the go, this is my new staple. Crystal Light's Mojito. It's amazing. If you add it to chilled sparkling water you're in for a real treat . . . like step-right-into-Mexican-vacation treat.
A pregnant-through-the-summer mom's dream.

2 comments:

Missy W. said...

I'm going to have to try that mojito! Once I did a water intake challenge with a co worker. We were trying to get to 70 oz a day. One of the strange side effects was tons of excess saliva. I felt like I was drooling like a baby. So strange!!

DallasMonroe said...

Sounds strange, but lemon and fresh basil is AMAZING in ice water... It's what I use to get over the hump!