
Last week I found Mesa once again tied up in the shower, but this time her face (and especially her eyes) were smeared with cups of shampoo and conditioner. The poor thing didn't even bark. Brooklynn was (seemingly) ignorant, thinking that she was "giving Mesa a bath" just like I do.
It took me a long time to rinse everything out, and three more times that day I had to call Brent to come up and hold her so we could try to flush her eyes out with water.
Mesa spent the next two days with swollen, irritated eyes that she just wouldn't stop itching.
Tuesday I finally took her to the vet to see if there was more we could do.
Turns out she had two large ulcers, one in each eye. The question became whether this was caused by the shampoo incident, or if it was an inevitable problem that was accelerated by the irritation. The later would mean that the eyes wouldn't heal without a very intensive surgery. We were given some medication and asked to wait a week to see how the healing process went.
The next week was spent with a thousand moments of worry. I thought about this dog that is so much a member of our family. She's the only sibling Brooklynn knows, and every day is filled with Brooklynn wrestling, dressing up, hugging, loving, cuddling, torturing, and giggling with Mesa. Then I thought about the thousands of dollars that a surgery would require. And I kicked myself over and over for not getting pet insurance before now.
The anticipated day came, and we went to the vet. GOOD NEWS! Ulcers are completely cleared up, we're 100% back to healthy.
Big sigh of relief, and a huge amount of gratitude.
Now, for that pet insurance . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment