This year I turned 30. My actual birthday day was spent tending to Brooklynn who had a terrible stomach flu. Typically I write some post about me on my birthday, but this year the day was dedicated to caring for others. And here I am, three months later, posting about April 25th.
After some thought I finally settled on a snapshot of my life as it is now, because all those things I think will never change, always do. Sometimes it's nice just to realize where you are, although I admit upfront these are typically the type of posts that have me rolling my eyes while thinking of how much wiser I am now, as I read it years later.
Regardless, in this very moment, here is a snapshot of life:
Most consistent in: Brooklynn's practice. Above all else, this is the one thing that I know I will get done every single day. We have a set time, a set place, and it's just what we do - in town, out of town, Monday through Sunday.
Most obsessive about: At the moment, I'm very consumed with sticking to our budget. I've never not had a budget, but I recently read Dave Ramsey's "Total Money Makeover" and two things especially struck me that have completely changed my life:
1. Re-do your budget every single month so that it's customized
2. Have a zero balance budget, so that every penny has a place.
These two ideas have reshaped and changed where our money is going in an extreme way. I've never felt more frustrated with money as I have the last few months, but I've never been more aware of it either and each month is met with an equal elation at realizing we are in charge of our pennies, not the other way around.
Book that I talk about most in conversation: Nurture Shock by Po Bronson. I'm hosting a book club on this book this month, and I can't wait for the discussion. I love that it scientifically supports the ideas that I already am passionate about, and I love that it's opened my eyes to a hundred other things I never would have considered.
Family synopsis: 30 years old with a 3 year old and one on the way. Can't seem to decide on a name, although it is definitely being discussed more frequently, so hopefully we'll go to the hospital with a favorite few.
Most recent discovery: Pinterest. Tara introduced me to this glorious situation last week and I can't stop logging on. It reminds me of the collages I used to make on the back of my bedroom door in high school of all the magazine pictures I loved. Very fun.
Most helpful tip: Drink more water. 7 1/2 months pregnant, in June, and I can't get enough liquid. I've been shocked at how much better I feel and how much easier pregnancy is on the days that I gulp down 8 glasses of H2O.
What I wish someone would have tied me to a chair and forced me to do 10 years ago: Read Total Money Makeover before you get married, and stop laying out in the sun because yup, by 30, you really do have face wrinkles.
What I look forward to most in the future: Expanding our family. I feel like I've finally emerged from a chapter of studying, practicing, testing, and accomplishing, into teaching, giving, building, and becoming, where all the focus was on me and my career. I miss teaching very much and can't wait to dive back in to that world, but I hold a new perspective after not having much focus on me for the last 10 months. I think I'm entering the new chapter of family, others, nurturing, etc with a very selective attitude of what I'm willing to take on. It feels good to have the luxury of carefully weighing each prospective decision that knocks at my door. I'm excited to keep my focus on my family and the home that I'm building while enriching it with the activities I say yes to.
2 comments:
I've put myself on the waitlist at the library for Nurture Shock. It looks very interesting!
Yeah! You'll love it. Very convincing :)
Post a Comment