
Brent and I are in two locations while I finish school. He lives in Utah, where my Grandparent’s have kindly taken him into their free ‘mother-in-law apartment’ downstairs, and I live here in New York, just minutes from the airport by subway (yeah – no taxi fee!). We see each other three out of four weekends a month, with lots of long phone conversations in between. As you can imagine, it was a difficult decision and came after lots of prayer and fasting – but, like most situations that are right, things have just fallen into place. The only problem so far is that I've gotten lonely. Not crazy lonely like the kind that leaves the world dark . . . because I've been to that place; no, just kind of dissappointed to come home to an empty apartment kind of lonely. I miss Brent.
It’s a new thing when you are starting out in a fresh area and don’t know a soul. So, yesterday I got up, got dressed, and promptly marched myself to the pet store and bought myself a friend. I can’t tell you how much I wanted a puppy, but with being out of town so often to go to Utah, I knew how impossible it was going to be, so I settled for a Crowntail Betta and I named him Lincoln, after a good man, and my favorite place in New York – the Lincoln Center. He is blue and red and has lots of personality. . . for a fish. He gives me someone to say hi to when I come home anyway. Cami called and said I had made her sad when I told her I had bought a fish for a friend. I reassured her that I'm not that desperate. But he is the coolest fish I"ve ever owned.
3 comments:
Melissa,
I love that you write... and I am pleased to know you. I am impressed by your guts...and your ability to do what seems so difficult it's impossible to think about. I hope you keep writing. It's the only way I know what in the heck is going on.
I love you and miss you. I'm glad you get in during the weekends. i have been thinking of you.
Emily HOpe
I got your message and it was SO GOOD to hear you sing to me :) I had a very bad day that day - but you made me smile. Thanks so much Emily for being my friend. I miss you - keep writing
I really miss you tonight and don't forget you are married and that i love you and lincon.
Post a Comment