Friday, January 11, 2008

Balance


It's amazing how often I come back to the thought that life is best lived when we are in balance.
The holiday season was overwhelming. Someone told me once that December for musicians is like unto April for Accountants. November 10th began for me the work hours of 6:30 am - 11 pm . . . day in and day out for two months. It didn't take long and I was sick, and then cutting things out right and left to try and free up time, until I was left with not much more than a cold and long hours. Not surprisingly, all things cut out were things that were there to make me happy: Body and Soul workouts, riding horses, practicing, hanging out with Brent. It became awful, and I spent the first week of the new year trying to resurface from the over-exhausted, over-strained plague. Luckily I can learn from it and hopefully not get myself in the same pickle next year.
Now, as I get back into the better swing of things - going to the gym, taking time to have dinner with Brent, practicing - I am reminded of how much happier I am when I can balance my life and feel like there is time to breathe.
So - here's yet another post about staying in control of our lives and taking time for ourselves because it happens to make life that much more fulfilling.

2 comments:

TnD said...

But you filled up your violin school and read three books in three days! A little out of balance, but you will never regret it.

Ann Marie said...

AMEN! I am amazed at how often ALL of my thoughts and conversations end in calling for balance. Indeed I am a fan of breathing. AND a fan of Treebeard's motto: "Don't be hasty." Here's to slowing down. Loves to you.