Thursday, August 28, 2008

The last 2 weeks of Summer

Usually my summers are packed full of sun, green, and water. This summer we've worked a lot: on the house, in our jobs, in the yard. Not much backpacking and river rafting has occurred; instead a nursery has been created, a bedroom has been painted and assembled, carpet installed and baseboard attached, lessons have been taught in order to not feel guilty with taking a maternity leave at the beginning of school . . . . Yesterday I woke up to begin teaching and found the air cold and the morning sun still sleeping. Where did the summer warmth and golden rays at 5 in the morning go? It was all a bit too fast.
Luckily I had thought ahead and scheduled some time off the last two weeks, but, ever so typical, 8 full days off was slowly whittled away as I scheduled Jenny Oaks Baker to give master classes to my students for 3 days, and then rehearsals somehow snuck up and took over another 2, and then there were family things that needed attending . . . . leaving instead of 8 full days, a mere 2 for my beloved trip to the Tetons. But anyone who knows me knows those mountains are the oxygen that keep me going strong the rest of the year long. 24 hours or less, I was not going to give them up.

Honestly, I have to admit, while packing I was overcome with the temptation to just stay home and sleep. I was tired, worn out, the list of things to do was a pile over my head. But how grateful I was as we rounded that bend and the Grand smiled down at us that we packed the day packs and loaded the car . There is not a more beautiful place on the whole planet Earth, I'm convinced. Sun was shining, green was growing, windows were rolled down and I sang at the top of my lungs for the joy of being at the place I'd rather be than anywhere else.
We rolled into Jackson at the perfect peaceful time of night to walk the streets, get dinner, hold hands, and figure out where to sleep. I wanted to camp, but Brent insisted we find a bed. I consented, only because I'm 9 months pregnant, and I was so glad we did. We ended up at a bed and breakfast nestled into the woods - a beautiful room with the oldest TV I've ever seen, and a clean homy feel. It was a magical get away, and completely unexpected.
Early the next morning we were on the trail to hike Taylor Mountain - a steep 9 mile hike that the book rates as "strenuous", even though it's not, but it made me feel so much better as I proved to myself that being pregnant, once again, does not mean I can't do the things I love. We told everyone on the trail that looked at me funny that I''m in training for birth. They all smiled and cheered me on.
The drive home was leisurely and ended with an exploding sunset that fit the magnificence of the smell of pines, the sound of crickets, and the crisp cold air that means you're in the mountains.

The next evening we found ourselves in Deer Valley for the Park City Jazz festival - somehow playing the violin and knowing my dad had landed us VIP passes that included a gourmet dinner backstage, seats front and center, and a Big Bad Voodoo Daddy concert. Some people don't know that Brent is one of New York's finest swing cats - - - images of mob hats and vests would go right in hand with his suave steps. Many a night of red high heel dancing shoes and clubs full of fast paced jazz filled our dating days. Needless to say, it was a night of tapping toes and swinging hips. What is it about loud music under the stars that somehow leaves me completely invigorated?

The next week ended with a quick trip to Lake Powell. I have to admit, this one I wasn't really looking forward to. Something about being so pregnant and going to 115 degree weather where I couldn't do any of the fun playing that everyone else would be doing just didn't sound appealing. But I admit, I stand corrected. Nate and Cami know how to do Lake Powell - everything from the valet service from your car to the boat, to the air conditioned cabin with a full kitchen (two refrigerators!), to the leisurely pace of vacation. I think I slept a total of 25 hours in two days. It was glorious. The sun was warm, but the air wasn't blistering like I remembered it. All in all I was grateful I went.
And so, with school having begun again for everyone, I tip my hat to summer and embrace the rhythm of keeping to a schedule. The next adventure will be bringing a child into the world. Here we go :)

4 comments:

Nick and Kirsten said...

hey...you guys want to come with us to victor in october?
free house?! - 3 miles from the spud (plenty of rooms for little tag-a-longs too) I haven't made my yearly visit yet and am determined to go once work slows down for nick. let me know!

Adam said...

seems like the only thing missing from lake powell and dear valley was a red carpet to walk on between activities ;)
but the hike in jackson redeems you.

Nonie said...

You'll be glad for that birth training... ;)

Ann Marie said...

I don't think I've ever met a busier person! It looks like you've had some lovely trips though. I hope you get some "rest" when the baby comes!