Saturday, March 13, 2010

To the Desert Sun

Last week was Brent's annual "Mancation" - where boys become men playing 36 holes a day, 3 days in a row. Every year I watch him go, swear I'll have a good attitude, and commit to a weekend of deep cleaning the house, and every year it snows while he's basking in the California sun. Why would anyone put themselves through such torture? This year, I asked myself the same question. Why it took me this long to figure out, I don't know. Anyway, instead of going through the ordeal of slowly going crazy with nothing to do but toothbrush the fine corners in between the wood floors and take a picture of the snow coming down to email with a semi sarcastic "hope you're having fun" text, this year I decided I was going with him.
All kinds of emotions were spun by this decision. For me: elation, excitement, adoration of all things warm. For him: surprise, anxiety, nervousness with the idea that I, a woman, may end up crushing the 'man' in 'mancation'.
But do not worry, I was not deterred. Brent headed out on wheels with Jim, I'm sure fondly missing the lavender toyota Camry that has so often taken them on such walkabouts, and started the 12 hour drive.
I, on the other hand, headed for the airport, where I boarded a beautiful Delta 737 that would land me and the baby in the desert in 90 minutes flat.
The next five days were spent in shear exaltation. Sun. shine. With temperatures gracefully soaring between 60 and 80, green grass, the smell of lawns being mowed and kids hitting the pavement with basketballs and quick shouts. Layers of winter flaked off Brooklynn and I's glowing white Christmas skin. It was life here in California - it was like we'd been holding our breath in the frigid winter weather, stuck in some frozen bubble when, believe it or not, there were parts of the world warm and dancing. For the first time in my life I think I really really really wondered why we live in Utah.
Spring! Summer! The warmth enveloped me and awoke all kinds of places in my soul that had been bundled tight against the snow. I swear, there was never another vacation so awesome. I would say "I died", but I actually did the opposite - "I lived again" is more appropriate.
Thanks to Tara, we kicked butt on some AMAZING hikes - enjoy the pics below. Shari put up with Brooklynn and I trashing her house 24/7, fed us every meal, and drove us everywhere. I hope I never fall into the trap of staying home again! Thanks Shari and Tara for your never ending compassion on me and my girl, it was wonderful!



4 comments:

Violadiva said...

I reserve you for next year's Mancation. Me and Nonie will show you and Brooklynn a good ol' So-Cal time...

Aaron & Amy Norton said...

winter with kids bites the big ones!!! it feels great to finally get out of our humble homes doesn't it!!!

Ann Marie said...

yes, california is warm, warm, warm. so happy you enjoyed it.

but let me tell you, from first hand experience, we enjoy utah a lot more. i miss four seasons. just come for visits when the winter lasts too long ;)

Nonie said...

Boy, it's almost getting too hot for me here already! Wish we could have seen you!!