Sunday, April 14, 2013

7 Years



I remember naively asking a friend once after he returned from his mission "How was it? Did you just love it?!" to which he kindly rolled his eyes and said "how was the last two years of your life? Did you just love it?!"

His retort really stopped me for a minute, and I realized how dreamy my question had sounded. The last two years of my life? Up, down, complicated, wonderful, crazy, hard, good . . . . everything.

Brent and I have now been sailing together for seven years. SEVEN. It sounds so short and so long in the same sentence. Now, less naive, I can ask the same question. How was it? Full. It was very full. Full of moments that have made me cry - from joy and from heartache, full of breathtaking experiences like giving birth twice and holding those infants for the first time in our arms, full with crazy things not limited to living in an old folks home for several years. Full of amazing moments, boring moments, elated moments, disappointed moments. So full. And full is good, even when it's full of all things not equal.

It's an amazing thing to go through life with a constant by your side, to outlive the ups and downs and get through it regardless. On a very regular basis feelings of gratitude fill me up when I think about the person I married. He's perfect for me. I love all the little details about him, I find him undoubtedly good looking, and I can always know that he'll give me truth when I need it. He's the most amazing father possible, with unending goodness that spills out over his kids in hugs, kisses, cuddles, stories, loves, loves and more loves. He is good at anything he decides to be good at. Kayaking to computers, granite to cars, this guy can figure anything out and if he can fix it, he will. He's obsessive about golf and I love it. I love that he has a passion that drives him to constantly learn and better his game. He is always getting me learning about something: politics, car parts, web design, 80's music, animal psychology, a finer pallet, how to create the perfect diet pepsi brew . . .

I am one lucky girl.

Happy Anniversary Brent. Couples massage and dinner at the Mission Inn? I think yes.

1 comment:

TnD said...

I loved to see you two come home from your anniversary night out. I just saw "in love". I'm so grateful you both found each other. I find you very well matched.