Monday, August 29, 2005

while they're still green . . .

he asked me what I would do if I were to turn over a new leaf and immediately I heard a type writer clicking in my head . . . lists of the things I would change. I remembered a sentence that strung together the two ends of my day last week - that split second when I realized that you can decide how your life turns out. so I guess it comes down to having the time. But if I could, I would

make my runs 10 miles instead of six.
learn how to throw pots.
become a massage therapist.
play the guitar
be a photographer
never be in a hurry with people I love
be a farmer
be a kayaker
never miss a sunrise
I would travel to foreign countries to climb sheer walls and sleep at base camps
never let unruly people taint how I see life, or water down my dreams
write all sorts of beautiful thank you notes every time I have the intention
fly to exotic places to try their food and camp on the beach
I would let go of the pessimist and allow myself the luxury of being a romantic . . . but just for a day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

why just for a day?

Melissa Thatcher said...

because being a realist is a breath of fresh air.
there's something about just seeing life for what it is, rather than what you wish it would be. Its nice to embrace facts and find out on the flipside that you are still okay and breathing. Romantics hold their breath trying to convince themselves that everything is what its not, or hoping that it is . . . assuming, I believe, that if they didn't they wouldn't be able to make it. which makes for a life full of impossibilities and long exasperated sighs.