Sunday, March 23, 2008


After two years of marriage I just yesterday came to a huge epiphany about my dear husband.
First, some clarification.
When someone looks at me and says "I love you", immediately a smile spreads across my face, my heart fills up with warmth, I see stars, hear birds sing, laughter rings in my ears . . . every good and beautiful thing seems to come full force into the moment.
Love sponge that I am, how naive of me to assume every other living breathing thing would have the same reaction I experience, let alone my husband.

Yesterday, while driving with the windows rolled down, sunshine pouring onto our laps and the radio singing to us loud, I turned to him smiling and said out loud "Brent, I love you."
I waited for the pure joy to spread across his face.
Nothing.
Maybe a slight nod of the head.
Don't ask me why I hadn't noticed this any earlier - I suppose I was simply more aware in that moment. Out of curiosity, I prodded "why don't you react when I say that, like it's not a big deal?"
He looked at me with half a smile and said through a quick laugh "well, you're just telling me something that you feel - it has nothing to do with me."
WHAT?!
Suddenly my world warped. Expressing "I love you" meant no more to him than me saying "my favorite color is blue." Brent, King of the love language Affirmation, needed to hear specifics about him, not about me. Here I was, thinking that being loved by me would be seen as a privilege. Ha! How not true. How silly of me. Instead, what he wanted to hear is "Brent, you are the most athletic person I know." or "Brent, I appreciate so much right now how sensitive you are." Either or would be better than "I love you . . . and my favorite color is blue".
wow.
Just to make sure, I called the number two. Number two was number one until I, through marriage, bumped him to number two. But yesterday, to my complete shock, I realized number two, even with the lower rank, knows my husband better than I: "Dave, Dave. You will not believe what I just discovered about your brother" - I relay the conversation in great detail. He's laughing so hard he can hardly get it out, until finally he says "And what he would REALLY like to hear is that he is the best looking."
I turn to Brent in shock. "Brent you are very good looking" I try it out.
He beams.
Who. Knew.

10 comments:

MnS said...

Brent looks just like Sid, therefore..... very good looking. Only Sid has more hair.

MnS said...

I laughed sooo hard. This is one of the funniest blogs I have read. Maybe because it is so true of Brent.
-shari

Kyle Hess said...

Yes, I have seen that same beaming face when talking about his latest home remodeling projects.

Anonymous said...

If you let him know how stong he looks he realy likes that one too! Melissa you are so awesome, instead of taking offence to him not responding to you saying I love you, you figured out what he needed to hear! Impressed!!!

Ann Marie said...

Cute! Love the insight!

Tibbitts Paperbag said...

LOVE you'er insight. Today in the car as i dropped Rachel off and said i love you it struck me as less than what i wanted to really say. i'll be ready tomarrow with a "why i love you". Nevertheless i'm wondering if i say i love you will you beam?

Jeff and Holly said...

LOL!! Men! And that is all I have to say!

Violadiva said...

since you're figuring out how to speak his love language, does he speak yours in return?

TnD said...

I think men, in general only beam the first time you say I love you and of course that is only after they have said it 20 times and you have rejected them 20 times. I think they like to keep guessing. This I know, but the specifics, wow, that was a terrific insight.

w and w said...

hilarious!!! How funny is that? Yet it doesn't suprise me. I had no idea you were pregnant! How wonderful congrats... the whole nine yards! Thanks for cheering me on at the half marathon. I'm absolutely thrilled for you!