Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Deepest Secrets

From the beginning of my existence there have been two things that I have always wanted to do. Do not take this lightly - it isn't some phase I have come across and will be gone this time next year. These are things that get me giddy, send me into fits of passionate longing, make me wish and hope with despair. All secretly, of coarse, because there is nothing like not actually accomplishing a long lost goal - no sense to do it publicly.
Believe it or not, I have ALWAYS wanted to play Cape Breton Fiddle,
and I have always wanted to Salsa Dance.
Why have I waited so long to get on with it?
All the reasons that we never start a goal - and probably a lot of reasons more complicated than that.
I am a classical musician and for me to dabble in the other musical fields is looked upon with all sorts of snobbish attitude, in addition to just being one more thing to get better at. There just simply is not a lot of time to study celtic music - there never is enough time to learn everything I need in classical. And classical musicians look at fiddling with this attitude of "ohhh please". It's easy. It's for the masses. It's done so very often badly. There's no technique, or there is only bad technique. There is no discipline.
sigh.
And salsa dancing? Well. I don't know why I haven't done this. Maybe because I got into it in a phase of life that no matter how much I wanted it to be, was not the best time to be dancing in very sexy outfits and in very sexy ways. Something in me must have known, because I just never got started.
But alas. I am one of those people that finds the cheesiest sappiest dancing movies and watches them again and again. I love Dirty Dancing. I love Shall We Dance, and Dance With Me and even Dirty Dancing II. Ridiculous! I know.
But today I finally came to terms with these forever lingering wants and wishes.
I've done it. I am learning Cape Breton Celtic Fiddle. Jamie and I had our first lesson today - we're trading. She's a kick butt fiddle player. We're trading information every Tuesday at 11:30. Of coarse we talk the first hour, but the second hour I am finally learning how to play those cool licks and she's going to learn some classical technique.
I figure, why not dedicate a summer to just indulging? I've got two degrees in classical playing - can't I just try fiddling for a second without always feeling guilty with the lingering thought "I should be practicing real music" in the back of my mind?
As for the Dancing . . . . I asked for it for my birthday. As you recall, my birthday was three months ago. Brent said he would take me, but it has yet to happen. Now I'm as big as a balloon and have no desire to try and fit into a sexy salsa dress. But don't think I've forgotten. After the baby comes, I am hitting the dance floor and cashing in my birthday present.
Olay!

6 comments:

TnD said...

Good for you, follow your dreams. You'll look great on the dance floor, regardless if you are six months prego or not.

MnS said...

You remind me of my mom. It was the learning and mastering of new things that got her excited. As for learning to Salsa, who says that the pregnate look isn't sexy? Go for your dreams girl!

theadventursofsidandlinda said...

What an awesome insight into your inner self. I think it is so remarkable to always have a star and not be ashamed or afraid to grab it - even it it is 'just for fun'. Somehow it will expand who you are. Love it girl.

Anonymous said...

Melissa I just love you! You are so amazing!!! I Love that you are such a pasionate person. When you do something you go all the way no cutin' corners! I am so excited that you are learning the fiddle, I love the fiddle it is such a happy instrament. I bet you are the sexiest pregnant person out there get on that dance floor and dance your heart out!

P.S. Thanks for Your coment it made my day!

Ann Marie said...

Oh so so so so glad you're learning some Cape Breton/Celtic stuff!!!! This is my FAVORITE! Next time I'm in SLC for my Irish Night (March 17) you must be our Muse.

AND so glad to hear about the salsa dancing. A friend of ours who knows his Salsa dancing showed us a few things one night and I've never had so much fun! I hope you get to cash in sooner than later!

MaRea Hess said...

I think you would look hot in one of those sexy salsa outfits, being pregnant only makes you look that much better!!! I excited to hear some of your new fiddler ways. The fiddle makes even the oldest and grumpiest old man smile.