"Everything alive has a rhythm" he says. I think of the pulse that I live with . . . the methodical drum beat of getting things done. There is something secure in checking it off my list. I think of dancing barefoot in the African Dance class on the second floor of the building, our shouts echoing off the floor like an indoor basketball game, creative and free.
There is something beautiful in movement.
We dressed in bright colors that year, baring head bands and holding drums. I used to smile as I heard the echo of djembe's as the sunset hit the Wellsvilles, calling to me. I felt a yearning to belong to that rhythm, to be a part of it all. I loved the clap of air as touch and sound collided, and the way the vibration entered my skin and sat there.
Last week my rhythm was changed. It's slower now - steady and quiet, filled with more space than sound. Months before it happened I tried to imagine what it would feel like, to move on that frequency. It's different. "Life is a series of being the expert, and being the beginner" Michelle says. "embrace being the beginner" she urged. I feel like Sarah inside - a nine year old girl who jumps off stage, running into her mothers open arms with the most genuine call "I did my very best, mom".
I'm doing my very best.
It is hard - staying in time with largo when you work best at a scherzo. Ten days now of a thousand new emotions - spurts of color that explode in my heart without warning. I love those tiny feet, those tiny hands, those big eyes and that hair that can't seem to look like anything but miniature bed head. Tiredness is heavy inside of me. Days and nights run together and everything melts into a simple 3 hour feeding schedule. How can such a simple schedule feel so overwhelming? And yet, she is the only thing that comforts me when I feel I can't do it anymore. The cause and the solution, all in one 19 inch bundle.
I didn't expect the simple rhythm to come with so many ups and downs. Physically I am fighting to feel normal again - a simple walk around the block suddenly feels like a marathon. Something about minimal sleep, producing milk, and having just given birth has thrown me into a realm that requires more healing than I've ever needed. Emotionally I am learning I love so much deeper. Which means I can cry a lot. And then there is the psychological . . . this ever persistent battle I've never before fought. I've discovered several demons that have found my head and like to sit in it. "You don't know what you're doing" they shout. "You're failing, failing, failing. You are a terrible mother, look - see. You're doing it all wrong". I look at her beautiful face and it breaks my heart - she deserves someone who isn't going to fail.
But then I pray, and remember the talk Joy gave when I lived in Queens. "I believe in Failing" she said, as the high strung New York energy buzzed around outside. "I believe in failing because there is so much growth in learning, and letting Him heal us". I look about my bones and tendons for pieces of my shattered courage, gathering them together into a battered and meager pile. Brent kisses my face and says I am beautiful. He says I am a wonderful mother.
And the rhythm beats on. It's a comforting feeling - knowing it will continue to pulse, that I am a part of it and regardless, it will continue. I am learning to embrace this slow tempo. I am grateful for it - it is encouraging because I know I can catch up. Much faster and I'd never be able to play all the notes. It's gentle and it's slow, and I am new and I am trying.
Motherhood. So much wrapped up in one word.
12 comments:
so true--the cause of the pain, and the source of the comfort for it. And no one will bring you to your most vulnerable like a newborn will (am I ready to feel that way again?) I feel moments of failure every day; and I look in Della's face and she still says I love you mom, and I know you're doing your best. I was sent to you first because I would help you the best with this, the steepest of learning curves. I can take your mistakes, because they're made out of love. It's our strengths AND our inadequacies that make us the best match as parents to our children; because they will learn from both.
I'd almost forgotten the self questioning that comes with new motherhood. Thanks for reminding me and preparing me for number 2. Fortunately Melissa, it fades. Don't get me wrong some days I totally think I might screw up Claire's life permanently, but most days I just feel like my love and consistency will be enough for her--and those days I am right. You have everything that Brooklynn needs, her milk, her comforting arms, her tender kisses and most of all responsiveness to her every need. You will love her and she will love you because of all you give her.
This is a beautiful entry, Melissa. Nonie and I just read it together. She was holding Sam while she read it to me. It's been amazing for me to view the transformation that takes place when parenthood arrives. I've felt it, but all the more, then, has Nonie felt it--and you have obviously, too. What a joy to read about your feelings.
Love,
K&N
hey beautiful girls! We love you and are so proud of you. Yes, embrace all the emotions you feel right now. Cry as much as you need to!!! I cried several times a day...at how hard it was, at how beautiful she was, at my need for sleep, the thought my mom would leave soon etc...
This is a slower melody, but the most beautiful one you will ever play. love you. don't rush back to your old self too soon.
-s
I need to save this for when babies come my way. So beautiful. Love you!
Brent and Melissa,
Congratulations!! This beautiful new little baby is blessed to have you as her parents. This child was chosen to be with you and only you. You will offer her more than she could have ever expected. Motherhood is the most complicated emotional work you will ever do. But I can see that you already do it well, better than most!! What a breath of fresh air!!
Congratulations, Tresa Martindale
You articulated motherhood perfectly. I have seen you in action and know you are an incredible mommy!
Largo - dolce con grazia - quasi scherzo
Beautiful. I love the failing part, the best thing I've heard in the last while.
Melissa, I loved reading this entry. I didn't know you were such an incredible writer. Anyway, I have 3 month old newborn twins and I have to tell you that reading your entry brought me so much comfort that I have come back to read it again and again. Your honesty was an answer to my prayers. And I have to say...3 months into it is still hard, but it helps when they start to laugh. :) SalleeAnn Sudbury Miller
Melissa, you are going to be an incredible Mom! You are so sensitive to feelings and feel the Spirit so deeply. Everyone always told me to cherish every minute while your kids are little because the time goes by so fast and you can't bring those moments back. Oh, how I long to sit and rock my precious babies again. They grow up and leave you and it is so sad. I think some Moms enjoy having their kids move on, but that has been really hard for me because I truly loved having my children close to me. Cami has been really patient and loving with me during these later years of adjusting. I know that God's way of helping me cope is blessing me with my amazingly wonderful grandbabies! ENJOY THE MOMENT!!! It will be gone in less than a flash!
P.S. You're an amazing writer!
Post a Comment