Friday, November 21, 2008

Modge Podge of an update


This is my sister Emily. She left last Wednesday on a plane for Tokyo, where she'll be serving an LDS mission for the next year or so. She called me from the airport and immediately we were like two chipmunks chattering away. It felt like no time had passed since she left for the MTC - except that in that pocket of time I had had a baby, and therefore my whole life had changed. It was a weird overlap of two worlds, and it felt so good to hear her voice. I have found she left a huge hole in my life that isn't really fillable, but I'm so happy for her and for how happy she is.

This is Ellen. During my maternity leave I got addicted to her show and all the wonderful laughter it brought me. I don't watch Ellen as much anymore now that I'm working again, and I must say, I miss her hilarious games. Including my favorite: ah snap.

These are the dark clouds of insanity. This is to display the fact that:
1. Brooklynn got sick and therefore we significantly relapsed in our baby wise ideas. Because of that, we are now beginning the long weekend of re-establishing the self soothing methods. Did I mention dark clouds? Only this time it's not as bad as the first go round because I have had the experience of knowing what it's like without her working towards this goal. Last night was the third night in a row that she didn't sleep well - - - when before she was sleeping 7 - 8 hour stretches in a deep peaceful sleep. I'm convinced the difference is our lapse in helping her learn how to coax herself to sleep. So. Today marks the first day of the re-learning process.
2. Working again can be draining and the balance a little overwhelming. I am in the process of dropping several students, which will be a huge relief. There are just those few that drain the life out of me and don't give back. It will be so much easier when I don't have to feel like I'm wasting my time with them.

Not to make it all dark and gloomy. But that's a quick overview of where we're at. Next week: Sunny California and a Thanksgiving with fam. :)

5 comments:

Tibbitts Paperbag said...

I love the way you think, as Modge Podge as it may feel you are remarkably clear. I even wondered as i read, does musical training open up a conduit of clarity? because all the while it's cloudy,(and correct me if I am wrong) It seems to me you have an enthusiasm for whatever the weather is, even if it mean you'll need an umbrella.

sarah sample said...

Thats funny melissa, I fell in love with ellen right after I had june. She has a good heart and makes me laugh my head off. so, did you love edward?
love you
s

Aaron & Amy Norton said...

i'd love to hear your process of weeding out students, i can't seem to get myself to do it but i soooo need to! help? also...i tivo ellen just so i can watch her games, i could care less about her guests and such, the games rock so i can relate!

TnD said...

Congrats to your sis. That is wonderful. We can't wait to get our hands on little Brooklyn in just over 36 hours, but who is counting.

Nonie said...

Congrats to Emily! She's going to eat it up, the bitter as well as the sweet.

Yes! Cut the life-sucking students! I know exactly what you mean.