Saturday, October 24, 2009

Desperate for White


Having a baby in the house has caused quite a learning curve with laundry. Naturally, even with the most delicate care, by the end of the day, Brooklynn's shirts are filthy. 7:30 PM means peeling off the sweet potato and honey baked layers and dropping them into the laundry basket.
I've done everything I can think of to get the whites to go back to white. I've tried the remedies that people swear by - oxyclean, bleach, pre-soaking and no-drying . . . . to no avail.
There are just stains that WILL NOT be removed. It seems each "new" shirt from Kid to Kid is ruined after the first time she wears it - what I can't figure out is how the people who sold the shirt to the Second Hand store got it looking brand new . . . how come I can not reproduce this miracle?!
I'm at the point where I'm beginning to think the problem is our 1980's washer that only works if the door is propped shut with a jimmy-rigged system that we've created. I know. I can't wait for the day that we can be more eco-friendly and wash clothes in the newest front load washer. Until then, I'm reaching out for some help on the matter. Any ideas on how to beat the stains?!!

4 comments:

Kathryn said...

Cover your babe in plastic from the neck down.

Lindsey Smith said...

I have no idea, i am so with you. white is not something that lives in my home. Jack was such a good clean eater but these two are not. Good luch my dear:)

MaRea Hess said...

This little trick we used on the Mission, it really works. Its blue stuff that comes in a small 8oz bottle. You mix it with your whites. It called like Grandmas blueing or something. It totally works! I also swear by Oxyclean, i spray it when I take the kids clothes off at night and it sits on their shirts until I do laundry. It's gets a really GOOOOD pre wash, before washed:).

MaRea

atec said...

Meliss....I just received an email from my sister-in-law who we get all our hand-me-downs from. She says she saw this on a favorite blog of hers....and I will be trying it. I don't know yet how well it works, but it looks like it is worth a try to me. I have the same issue you have though, so we'll see.

I have had a few friends asking me about this lately, luckily for you, I thought I would share with all of you too.;) When I was having my first baby I received some hand-me-down items from my aunt that were so darling...but, they had a few spit up and other stains from her girls. As I was getting ready to send them to the thrift store, a friend of mine gave me the best "recipe" for getting out the old, yellowed stains. I did this again right before baby #2 came along to re-freshen up the clothes.
Mix equal parts borax and cascade dishwash(the dry stuff) and enough water to make a paste. Rub paste on stain and let sit for a few hours. Then throw all the clothes in the washing machine with a 1/2 cup of borax and cascade again. Make sure do to a second rinse cycle and then rewash with detergent, just to make sure all of the cascade is out and won't irritate your baby's skin.
It should take the stains out and freshen up the clothes. Hope this helps you get a few more uses out of your baby clothes. It also works on non baby clothes-imagine that!!;)

Good luck!