Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Diagnosed!!

"Roseola often starts with a sudden high fever [103 F to 105 F] that lasts 2 to 3 days, although it can last up to 8 days. The rapid increase in temperature may be the first sign of roseola and often occurs before you realize that your child has a fever. The fever ends suddenly. After the fever ends, a rosy-pink rash may appear mostly on the trunk (torso), neck, and arms. The rash is not itchy and may last 1 to 2 days. In rare cases, a sore throat, stomach ache, vomiting, and diarrhea occur. A child with roseola may appear fussy or irritable and may have a decreased appetite, but most children behave almost normally. The roseola rash will go away without medical treatment. Roseola mostly spreads from infected people who don’t show symptoms. It is generally a harmless viral infection."

Yesterday a light rash started to appear on Brooklynn's chest and throat, ironically about an hour before our follow up appointment with our pediatrician. Dr. Vandenberghe took about 30 seconds looking her over and declared "I'm 95% sure that she has this virus". I was so incredibly relieved to hear a diagnosis and to know she was going to be perfectly healthy again in just a few days. We go in for one last blood test on Friday just to make sure her blood count has gone back to normal. The doctor says not to worry about this, it's just precaution.
Yeah for Doctors! Yeah for awesome pediatricians who care! Yeah for Brooklynn who is a brave little girl and who pulled through it like a champ. She's sleeping sweetly as we speak - cute little doll.
Thanks again everyone for all of your concern and empathy. One ER hurtle down! (hopefully not many more to go).

10 comments:

SHIPP said...

i am so sorry you had to go through all that we are so happy it isn't anything more.

Jane Durham said...

hallelujah, I've been anxious to hear.

atec said...

Wow, that's fantastic. I'm soo glad that it was something so simple, even if it did mean a lot of worry and heartache.

Jessica Shipp said...

Melissa,
So sorry to hear, we had no idea. I am glad that Brooklyn is doing much better.

Anonymous said...

I have been anxiously waiting...YEA!!! I am so happy she is OK. Way to pull through it like champs. Love you guys

Randy said...

We're so glad to hear everything will be alright! In fact, almost all of those symptoms after the fever describe me (Randy) for most of my two years in El Salvador: rash on most of body, stomach ache, diarrhea, but behave almost normally. I think I'm a better man for it:) Good times.

sarah sample said...

Hey love.
Wow, I am so sorry you have all gone through this. So glad they have figured it out. I've been crying reading your last two posts. I love you all. call me if you need anything.
xo
s

Violadiva said...

I'm so glad you were able to stay with her and comfort her. What a traumatic thing! But so good to have Mama there for safety. We'll keep praying for the little sweetie

Brit said...

relieved

and reminded once again what a miracle it is to have healthy babies, good medical help, and love and prayers of family and friends

Hess said...

I am so glad that it was all figured out and your baby girl is OK! I can't imagine having all those thoughts go through your mind as your baby is sick in the hospital, very scary. Before you found out what was wrong with her Kyle and I were talking about how hard it must be for you and Brent at that time. It was very sweet Kyle got all teary eyed and said with the sweetest voice I can't imagine our family without Brooklyn. He was so grateful for that small blessing from the Lord. Feeling a very small amount of love that the Lord must have for us when we, as his children are suffering. Thanks for allowing us in your life to be blessed by love!