Bach, who stayed devoted his entire life to God, never left his small town in germany more than 20 miles, wrote some of the most cleansing and inspirational music that has ever been performed, and wasn't at all concerned with the math behind the notes,
or
Handel, who beethoven spoke of when he proclaimed him as "the greatest of us all", known as a swinging bachelor who traveled the world and was the favorite of girls and kings, and then ended up with the Messaiah - a work proclaiming the Glory of God in irresisitable sweeping melodies and fugues
?
2 comments:
I'm not sure if this is a rhetorical question or not, but here's what I think:
If "math behind the notes" refers to money or fame, then I agree; although Bach may have been more business-savy than we imagine. But if "math behind the notes" refers to musical copmlexity, then I have to disagree. Musically, I think Handel is a candy-pop lightweight in comparison. Not that Beethoven didn't understand music infinitely better than I do, but he did live in a time when it was simply fashionable to dislike Bach, and his comment may reflect that hype. Many more composers than Beethoven have turned to Bach to study the art at it's most sublime. No less beautiful for it, he pushed harmony and counterpoint to places no one had, and not many since have. It's so incomprehensibly heavy sometimes!
But maybe that's not what you meant anyway...
For myself, I respect Bach more, but it isn't because Handel was a womanizer, or because Bach's work wasn't as popular during his life. It's becuase Bach's music is just better than Handel's. Even the Messiah -- I don't find it irresistible. More like repetitive and crowd-pleasing. I don't think it deserves it's current popularity. Maybe that's just hype too? Maybe it's because most American Christians don't know German.
But I just realized you weren't talking about their music, but their characters. Sure I respect Bach more. It's just not a question for me because I don't really think Handel has much of anything going for him. I do believe Bach was a great and humble man.
ah ha! Jared Orme it is about time you commented on my blog! I have to admit, I agree with you completely. Bach is the better fellow - both in music and in character. To be honest, it seems that Handel was a one hit wonder, and Bach is like, well, like bread: Sustaining, nurturing, and consistently thick and edifying.
So. We agree. And I believe this is the beginning of our relationship (a moment of silence, please). What a great note (no pun intended) to begin on.
Post a Comment