Monday, April 21, 2008

10 Best things about the first 17 weeks:

10. It puts a deadline on when the house remodeling has to be finished by.
9. Many people recommending many great books (and stories, and advice, and council - all of which I love and need to hear.)
8. Feeling grateful and appreciative of any woman who has ever gone through this before me.
7. Lots of people give you lots of stuff.
6. An understanding of something I have never experienced before.
5. The feeling of selflessness that comes with sacrifice.
4. Sympathy for the smallest things.
3. Everyone takes a huge interest in your life.
2. Finding an awesome midwife and doula.
1. BIG boobs (or, in my case, actually having them at all :) )

10 Worst things about the first 17 weeks:

10. That extra fight with being tired.
9. Craving crazy foods at all the most inconvenient times.
8. Slowly getting bigger . . . and bigger . . . and bigger.
7. Worrying about things like "how the heck am I going to pull off being a mother?"
6. All things that were hard before just got harder.
5. Pregnancy brain: you know, forgetting, forgetting, and then forgetting that you forgot?
4. The humbling experience of feeling slightly out of shape and much like a weakling even when I'm still working out everyday.
3. All feelings of nausea.
2. Realizing (as my face blows up and my butt gets as big as my new very round stomach) that no matter how hard I try, I am NEVER going to be that skinny, cute, even sexy, pregnant model.
1. The unfortunate and frequent event of having to convince some people that:
A. I want to have a child, I have not been brainwashed, and my career won't suffer.
B. I want to have a child, I have not been brainwashed, and continuing to work is not going to ruin my family.

5 comments:

theadventursofsidandlinda said...

I loved your '10 most'. You are able to put into words that which most of us have experienced and find connection with you in hearing it from your fresh perspective.

Tibbitts Paperbag said...

It is amazing, miserable and exhilarating all at once. It is brimming with experiance, that thing we came to earth for. There must be great purpose in it all. I am finding it so fun to listen to, and not do.

Nick and Kirsten said...

a lot of truth there. except my list would include the 20 worst and the...maybe...1 best? (i'm pretty negative about pregnancy...sorry) way to stick it out. and i promise, it does end some day, and you will see your toes again!

Ann Marie said...

ha! love it. all you experienced girls will have to pass on your knowledge when my time comes.

Violadiva said...

very cool of you to use a midwife and a doula - a well-informed decision, I can tell. I'm all for it! If anyone can find the perfect balance between children and career, it's you.