Thursday, April 24, 2008

Brent the Super Hero


Throughout remodeling our home we have diligently gotten bids, watched for sales, and asked around as to how much we should expect to spend. When the handy man packs up his tools and gives us that pink paper saying how much it would cost us to hire him, Brent undoubtedly looks at me and says "I think I can do this."
Brent's method of choice is his stare. He can stare for hours. As he stares, his brain formulates a plan on how to get all components of the house working and functioning together without a glitch.
When the woman with chalky dry hands in the tile department at Home Depot heard that we were laying Travertine for the floor instead of ceramic, and that we had never done it before, she shook her head. "Not one I would recommend for a first-timer." She smiled, trying to soften her honesty "Travertine is a bear to lay. Go with tile. You could do tile".
The next day I left Brent in the kitchen staring as I took off to play a gig. I returned several hours later to a kitchen where every square inch of floor had been carefully covered with perfectly laid Travertine. I never even saw him open a box. One minute it was seemingly impossible, the next is it was done. And done well.
This is after he had completely rewired our kitchen to allow for more outlets when I cook, knocked out a wall to allow for more space, built a fence for the backyard from scratch, textured both the ceiling and the walls of the front room and painted them the perfect color, sanded dozens of times the hard wood floor and then stained and sealed it, torn out window frames and reinstalled new shiny ones, torn plaster off brick to expose a wall, actually moved where the kitchen plumbing would be so we can have the sink under the window, installed base boards and crown molding, rewired the electrical so we can have dimming lights in the front room and under-head lighting in the kitchen, ran wiring through the house to a room that didn't have any lights, and then continued by installing canned lighting in the ceiling, moved washers and dryers, and then moved them back again, and installed the dishwasher.
So. Today, after all these months of watching his miraculous work, I had to give him credit for his latest endeavor. Brent is saving us thousands of dollars by cutting, shaping, and installing our granite counter tops. Imagine raw rock in the middle of a granite yard. Now imagine Brent with goggles on, evenly cutting that granite into large slabs and loading it on a truck to be delivered to the house where he has set up a work station in the backyard that he toils at until after dark: polishing and rounding corners, cutting out where the sink will lay, and measuring each end so it will fit perfectly.
sigh. He's amazing.
What more can I say?

14 comments:

Tibbitts Paperbag said...

I can't wait to get the GRAND tour!!!!!! I loved hearing about some of Brents real strengths. Never say never,why would you when you obviouly can, and a real sense of craftmenship,which to me is a kind of integrety. Love it.

Danielle said...

i hope my husband will show those unknown handyman skills when we buy our fixer-upper! you need to post pictures of your belly and your house!!!! pronto!!

Ann Marie said...

Go Brent!!! I'm sure your house will look absolutely beautiful when all is said and done. So cool that you were able to do so much of the work yourself--like the good ol' days.

MnS said...

Sid could do all that without a finger and mud in his eye. Brent needs to get his CDL if he wants to be a real man.
Mark

MnS said...

Sid could do all that without a finger and mud in his eye. Brent needs to get his CDL if he wants to be a real man.
Mark

Violadiva said...

Pianoman and I would like to know if that muscle-y picture has been photoshopped? If not, GO BRENT!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see it! Show us some pictures so we can get a little bit of a feel for it! Way to go Brent!!!

TnD said...

It sounds like you are practicing saying I love you in words Brent can understand and the super pecs pic doesn't hurt either.

Anonymous said...

I would love to meet you Brett. You are very cute. Would you like to have a cup of coffee with me? I think you look like Clint Eastwood..... You could be my Dirty Harry.

SHIPP said...

Brent-can your body really get like that?

Anonymous said...

Brent,
All I can say is "Do you have a younger brother for my single daughter?" We think you are absolutely darling! (Little expecting wifey, too) AND can we adopt you over at our house? What a handy guy!!! Doak could really use you. So---are you having a girl baby or a boy baby? We are so excited to hear!!!! Love, Brenda

Lindsey Smith said...

I always thought Brent was a manicure/pedicure guy that tried to talk like a man, but I guess I'm just barely wrong. To make him perfect he's gonna need some red hair though.

Riley

Anonymous said...

Red hair is for step children and serial killers!

Brit said...

so does brent hire out? :)